Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week-End

My weekend started a bit early. I went to work very early Friday, and left at noon. As I sat drinking Cabernet in a French restaurant on an abnormally warm afternoon, I found myself digging through the pages of a Hélène Cixous book. Here are a few quotes:

Love Itself: In the Letter Box

"It begins with fear, passion begins with a fear. Fear is the trembling of faith. One cannot have faith without being afraid. One cannot have faith, no human being Being human is that: to have faith that's been fractured then stuck back together."

"Telephoned. Nothing is known about the voice. I imagine when God says his speech without words without voice without language without face, he opens his non-eyes he closes his non-eyes, he starts over"

"I-ate is a visit to the Museum of the living-being."

"They were the shortbreads that I had gotten into the habit of buying for my long stays in the British Museum. By metonymy the little wedges of pastry had absorbed the voluminous and fertile idea of the most substantial library in the world. To eat shortbreads was to let melt on your tongue the sacred host of venerated books. I read you. Hoc est meum corpus and your body was also for me the bread of all the venerated books."

I took a long walk in the warm afternoon when I finished, but it started to get windy, and by Saturday, cold again. I watch my neighbor's recycling bins go bouncing across the road, into the abandoned property across the street, towards the cemetery.

I have decided to watch The Call of Cthulhu today:



The movie ends with a quote from Johansen's journal: "The most merciful thing is the inability of the human mind to correlate its contents."

Indeed. Our minds are filters, distractions from terror. Here are a few Cthulhu-related distractions:

Oil gusher unleashes Cthulhu on South Park

My First Necronomicon

The Adventures of Lil Cthulhu:



And--if you didn't see it in one of my earlier postings--here is a commercial for a "good book" (parody of a commercial for the Book of Mormon):



I'm off to make supper. Just remember--"Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."Thank you, and good night.

No comments: